Background Investigator DHS – independent contractor
Location: MI - Kincheloe
Job Code: MIKINC-DCMMYY
Employment Status: Independent Contractor
Primary responsibilities/Job summary:
KeyPoint Government Solutions is currently seeking Department of Homeland Security (DHS) independent contractor investigators in Michigan. Applicants must reside within 50 miles of the city of Kincheloe, MI. Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Candidates willing to relocate themselves to the area should include a cover letter stating that fact.
Independent Contractors are self employed with a varying workload. They conduct background investigations in support of national security, focusing on casework for Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
Engagements include conducting background investigations for the purpose of determining employment suitability of persons who require access to sensitive or classified U.S. Government information. Independent contractors will conduct face-to-face interviews with the subject and his/her neighbors, employers, friends, and family, as well as perform record searches at police agencies, courthouses, educational institutions, financial institutions, and medical/mental health facilities. Information obtained will be reported in a clear and concise report. The investigation territory will include work within a 100-mile radius of the investigator's home.
* are not employees of KeyPoint - independent contractors are self employed
* are responsible for their own taxes (KeyPoint provides a 1099)
* do not receive KeyPoint employee benefits
* do not receive full-time workloads
* are compensated on an engagement-completed basis (a flat fee per completed investigative item; each item’s fee varies based on complexity and time consumption)
* Candidatesmustmeet at least one of the following:
1. Current/active CBP credential (Must be as a Contract Background Investigator) preferred
2. Minimum of 3 years of BACKGROUND investigation experience with a local/state/federal agencywithin the past 5 years(Does not include time spent in non-background investigation roles such as criminal investigations or private investigator experience)
3. Minimum of 5 years of investigation experience at the local/state/federal level at any time with a minimum of a Bachelor's degree
4. Current/active OPM credential with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
* Active federal security clearance with an SSBI is preferred; applicants without a clearance must be prepared to wait 9-12 months for a clearance and must be able to pass a federal clearance background investigation
* U.S. citizenship (required for security clearance)
* Due to fieldwork requirements, a valid driver's license and reliable transportation with proof of current auto insurance are required
Candidate should also have:
* Intermediate typing (20+ WPM) and computer skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to effectively manage time and work independently
* Ability to professionally and effectively interact with a variety of individuals
About KeyPoint Government Solutions, Inc.:
KeyPoint Government Solutions is an investigative and risk-mitigation services company that delivers advisory, monitoring, compliance and other solutions across a variety of related practice areas. Our primary areas of expertise include background investigations, infrastructure safety and security, emergency management, criminal justice services, fraud investigations and program management. Led by team of highly regarded industry authorities, our workforce of almost 1,600 investigators and subject matter experts supports a wide variety of clientele including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and more. Our reputation is consistent with quality, integrity and exceeding both our clients’ and employees’ expectations. KeyPoint has offices in Washington, D.C., New York, N.Y., Austin, Tex., and Loveland, Colo.
KeyPoint Government Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Are you a returning visitor?